A mind map is a graphical way to represent ideas and concepts and is a popular business tool. It is a visual thinking tool that helps structuring information, helping you to better analyze, comprehend, synthesize, recall and generate new ideas.
A mind map represents tasks, words, concepts, or items linked to and arranged around a central concept or subject. It uses a non-linear graphical layout that allows the user to build an intuitive framework around a central concept.
The single subject or concept is placed in the center and associated ideas, words and concepts are added. Major categories radiate from a central node, and lesser categories are sub-branches of larger branches. Categories can represent words, ideas, tasks, or other items related to a central key word or idea. A mind map can turn a long list of monotonous information into a colorful, memorable and highly organized diagram.
Mind mapping business tool can be very useful for:
- Problem solving
- Brainstorming (individually or in groups)
- Summarizing information, and note taking.
- Thinking through complex problems.
- Gaining insight on complex subjects
- Studying and memorization
- Researching and consolidating information from multiple sources
- Presenting information in a format that shows the overall structure of your subject.
Mind maps can be drawn by hand, using a sheet of blank unlined paper. However, in recent years numerous, browser-, PC- and tablet-based mind mapping business tool have become available.